Article by : Sarika Nair
Women are caretakers and givers by nature. They have a habit of putting others first and ignoring their health in the process. This is due to their nature and also due to social conditioning.
In earlier times the roles of men and women were clearly divided. But in today’s times, women have taken over a lot many responsibilities. She has become a bread earner too. But she also has to fulfill her caretaker responsibilities. This puts immense pressure on women.
Add to it the stress of day-to-day life. And the result is poor mental health.
According to WHO, more than 5 crore Indians suffer from depression. Women are more likely to be depressed compared to men. Gender does play an important role in mental health status.
So what is the solution for this? Is there any??
Yes, there are little things which women can do for their mental health.
- Love yourself: Sounds like something which you have heard many times before right? But it is very essential to love yourself. Say good things to yourself and stop self-criticism.
- Me-time is crucial: Take out time for yourself. At least a few minutes every day. It can be a walk, a few minutes of reading, a coffee/tea, listening to your favourite song or exercise. Carve out this time for yourself.
- Eat well: Your body needs many nutrients to be healthy and active. Take care of your body needs and eat healthy food.
- Ask for help: You are not a superwoman and you don’t have to be one. Ask for help, your family and friends will be willing to lend you an ear and a helping hand.
- Delegate: Your family will survive if you forget to do something. Cut yourself some slack and don’t take up everything on yourself.
- Accept yourself: Everyone is good at something and everyone is bad at something. Know your strengths and weaknesses and accept yourself for what you are.
- Meet the people that matter: Stay in touch with the people that you like. Make an effort to meet them personally. Meeting people in person has an amazing therapeutic affect on the mind.
- Social media detox: Social media can really pressurize and stress you. Take a break from it from time to time. It is a much-needed
- Sleep well: Get at least 7-8 hours of shut-eye every night. Relax before sleeping and stay away from gadgets. Quality of sleep greatly affects the mind and the body.
These are a few ways in which you can take care of your mental health. A woman’s health affects the whole family’s health. Stay healthy, stay happy.
Views expressed are personal.